Plastering Cost Summary
Average Cost = £430 for one room
Cheapest Price = £15 per metre squared for drylining and skimming a wall
Plastering can give walls or ceilings a smooth finish that is perfect as a base-surface for any painting, wallpapering or redecorating ideas you have in mind. Plastering also gives a neat finish and is a safer option for the interiors of any home – especially for those with pets or children who might regularly come into contact with surfaces. Good quality plastering also provides great heat and sound insulation, keeping you and your family warm on colder days and preventing heat from escaping from room to room – not to mention reducing the sound pollution between rooms too. Most plastering is also extremely fire-resistant, improving your property’s structural integrity– so it really does prove a worthwhile investment.
But what about plastering costs? Well, plaster prices and the actual cost of plastering (i.e. labour charges) vary depending on the type of plaster you choose for your property and how much you need (i.e. how many rooms you want re-plastering). To help give you a more accurate idea of plastering prices, we’ve devised a quick guide below:
Wet plastering is the most common form of plastering, widely used in both domestic and commercial/industrial properties across the country for the last fifty to thirty years or so. It simply involves the mixture of wet plaster being applied directly onto the wall, which has been divided into cross-section by screeds (flat, wooden battens nailed into the surface) to help keep the plaster level.
- Prices for wet plastering usually start at around £250 per wall and £160 per ceiling, although if you fancy giving it a go yourself (if you’ve had similar DIY experience and are confident enough to try it) you can save quite a bit on labour charges. You could even attend a one or two day course on how to wet plaster properly, which can often cost as little as £75 to £150.
Dry Lining (Plasterboard)
Dry Lining plasterboard is different to wet plastering because it basically means that the wooden dividers and cross-sections of plaster have already been ‘set-up’ for you. As a result, it takes a lot less skill to apply and is usually popular amongst eager DIY fans. The standard gypsum plaster is usually delivered in paper liners, and can be cut to shape with a sharp knife; it’s easy to mould into a desired shape for your chosen surface.
- Plaster board prices vary according to size and quality, but they can often be purchased for a minimum of £80 per wall and £120 per ceiling; a little cheaper than wet plastering, but not always as effective in the long run.
Average cost of plastering a room is £430, including labour, materials, set-up and clean-up.
- Drylining and skimming a wall costs on average £22 per metre square
- Skimming a ceiling costs on average £25 per metre square or £260 per ceiling
- Skimming a room costs on average £333 per room (Min £120 – Max £650)
- Skimming a wall costs on average £15 per metre square
Remember, these costs are just estimates, and to get the most accurate price for plastering or to find the perfect plastering walls cost for you, make sure you compare a number of different quotes from a variety of both national and local contractors who could get the job done in a matter of days.
Get FREE no obligation Plastering quotes and see costs in your area now!